Before you start hammering, remember that art in a living room is enjoyed from a sitting position, so keep your wall arrangements hanging low.
Here are a few tips:
- Make sure your sofa is placed exactly where you want it before pounding your first nail in.
- Your artwork should be at least 2/3 of the length of your sofa to create balance between your wall arrangement and your couch.
- If your artwork or grouping is wider than the width of your sofa, it will overwhelm it instead of enhancing it.
- The bottom of your frame(s) should hang at approximately 8” to 10” above the back of your sofa. Of course there are exceptions depending on whether you are hanging 1 piece or a combination of 2, 3 or more. You might have to play with those measurements at bit.
- Hanging your artwork too high will look like it’s floating away from the couch instead of being connected to it.
- Have someone hold your artwork for you while you step back, sit down and have a look.
- Depending on the pieces you are hanging, it’s generally a good idea to leave 2” to 5” in between each frame.
- Hanging frames too far apart will look like you are trying to fill the wall instead of connecting each piece of art.