During the holidays, my husband and I often go out to friends’ houses for dinner and we always bring wine. Instead of buying traditional wine bags, I decided to make my own wine covers to add a personal and festive touch to the hostess gift this year. You’ll love this DIY because it takes only minutes to make, requires only three things and there are no special skills needed. That’s how I like it – easy no fuss DIY.
I confess I love plaid, especially this Buffalo plaid – the black and red. So when I saw these plaid cloth napkins on Black Friday at 40% off, I bought a few of them without any hesitation. I knew they’d be perfect to make wine covers.
- Cloth napkins 20X20″ to easily wrap a regular size wine bottle
- An elastic band
- A bottle of wine
How to do it:
- Place the napkin seams down on the table
- Centre the bottle on the napkin (easy with the plaid – place it in the centre square)
- One by one gather the corners, pull them up – it’ll feel like you’re a magician
- Twist an elastic band around just like if you were doing a ponytail
- Fold the tips down to pretty up the top and you’re done. Ta-da!
This DIY is so simple, so easy to do it’s unbelievable. The best part is that it’s environmentally friendly, it’ll get used over and over so no paper bags will end up in landfills, which makes me happy. It also shows your friends that you’ve put some thought into the host (hostess) gift, it’s not just a bag that you picked up at the store. I hope my friends enjoy both the wine and wine covers.
If you decide to make your own wine cover, make sure to send me a snapshot of it at firstname.lastname@example.org, I’d love to see it!
Co-Founder of Under The Roof Decorating
Make sure to sign up to receive our decor and design blog posts delivered straight to your inbox.