Hanging a large framed picture, mirror or big piece of art doesn’t have to be challenging. With the right tools, a few simple steps and a friend to help, you’ll have your piece hung in no time.
In this example, we’ll show you how to hang a large picture with D-rings, which is the typical hanging hardware you’ll find on many large or heavy items.
It’s important not to take any chances with a large piece. Avoid accidents by using hardware designed to hold the weight securely. Always check the packaging for hardware specifications.
What You’ll Need:
- Painter’s Tape or other low tack adhesive tape
- 2 Déco Screws or other screws rated to hold the weight of your item
- Small level
- Hang & Level picture hanging tool
- A helper
1. Placing Your Frame
- Have your helper hold the frame against the wall while you step back and determine the right placement on the wall.
- Once you’ve found the right spot, mark the height of the frame with a horizontal piece of tape on the top edge
2. Find the spot for the first screw
- Place the first D-Ring onto the single hook of the Hang & Level and with your helper, place the frame and tool against the wall.
- Line up the frame using the tape on the wall to make sure it’s at the right height. ( Note: If the tool’s handle doesn’t clear the top of the frame, angle it sideways. You’ll get the same results.).
- Use a small level on top of the frame to make sure it’s straight.
3. Install the first screw
- Once the frame is in the right spot, keep the tool on the wall while your helper takes the picture down.
- Press the single button to mark where the screw goes.
- Install the first screw.
- With your helper, place the frame on the wall, and hang it on the first screw. Place the other D-Ring onto the single hook of the Hang & Level.
- Place a level on top of the frame, and move the Hang & Level vertically until the bubble is in the middle, to ensure it’s straight.
- Once again, have your partner remove the frame while you keep the tool in place, and press the single button to mark the spot.
5. Install the second screw & hang your frame
- Repeat the steps above to install the second screw.
- With your helper, hang the frame onto the two screws and remove the tape from the wall.
Enjoy your newly hung frame!
I’m passionate about picture hanging and decorating (and I’m also the Co-Founder of Under The Roof Decorating).