Nowadays you’ll find picture frames and canvases that are sold without any hanging hardware, which can be very frustrating. Simply hanging your piece by the frame is definitely not an option, as it’s not safe. One way to solve the problem is by attaching a sawtooth hook to your frame.
You can buy sawtooth hooks at most craft, hardware and DIY stores. Before you start, check the specifications on the hook’s packaging to see how much weight it can safely hold. Don’t be intimidated by the steps; the process is easier than you’d think.
- Find the center of the frame.
- Make a pencil mark at the center point.
- Align the middle of the sawtooth hook with the mark (note: some sawtooth hooks have a mark in the middle to make this step easier).
- Make sure the hanger can’t be seen from above the top of the frame.
- Using a hammer, gently tap in the nails.
- Some sawtooth hooks come with screws rather than nails. If using screws, pre-drill the holes using a small drill bit to prevent the frame from splitting and be sure not to over-tighten them, which could also cause the frame to split.
Voilà! You’re done. Let us know how you did! And here’s a video recap of the steps:
Don’t miss any of the great tips that we post on our blog every week. Sign up here to get our e-newsletter straight to your inbox.
Co-Founder of Under The Roof Decorating