Many people ask us if you need to use a wall stud in order to safely hang a picture. The short answer is no, the reality is that the studs are rarely located exactly where you want your picture to hang. However the weight of the artwork is an important consideration when deciding how to hang it, and here are a few tips to help.
For lighter items:
- Lighter or smaller items, including picture frames, canvases, shadow boxes, clocks, decorative plates can safely be hung with a nail without a stud. Make sure to choose a nail sized according to the weight of your piece.
- Our DécoNails™ for example, are specifically designed for hanging items up to 20 lbs in drywall.
For heavier items:
- Heavier or large frames with glass, mirrors, or anything that feels heavy when you’re holding it against the wall will need extra hanging power.
- Consider using 2 nails, hooks or screws for each piece, which will help distribute the weight. (Note that using two hangers does not mean you will be able to hang double the weight.)
- In some cases, especially when dealing with large heavy mirrors, it’s best to use screws with wall anchors. They make larger holes in walls, but you need to think about safety first.
- Our DécoScrews™ act as a screw and anchor in one, and are specifically designed for hanging items up to 30 lbs in drywall.
For more tips on hanging heavy décor securely, check out this related blog post: “Hang heavy décor securely”.
Have any other decorating questions? Email us and we’ll do our best to help you Create the home you love™