Location: Corporate Office - Calgary, AB
Job Type: Full Time
Position: Financial Controller
Relevant Work Experience: 5+ Years
Educational Level: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with professional
designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA)
Are you looking to join a fast-paced growing organization that's driven by reinvention and fuelled by innovation? Not to mention, the ability to take your career to the next level.
If that's you, read on...
We are seeking a Financial Controller to join our Calgary office. This role is ideal for a candidate who is driven, passionate and motivated to quickly grow into a CFO role.
Who we're looking for:
You have a deep understanding and love for building on the momentum of a mid-stage business. You have first-hand experience in the development of financial strategy, reporting and analysis for growing companies, as well as the proven ability to build and manage strong accounting teams.
You can prioritize work, delegate effectively, be accountable and stay ahead of the day within a fast-paced environment. You are energetic, passionate, open, honest, trusting, flexible and positive.
Your communication skills are impeccable, both written and verbal. You can work independently with minimal guidance and in collaboration with a team. You have proven business acumen, project management skills and thrive on mentoring and developing your team.
You will be reporting to the President & CEO and working closely with the executive team to provide vision and execution of the long-term financial strategy and fiscal budgets.
The UTR Team will look to our Financial Controller for:
- Strategic planning:
- Your leadership will help shape UTR’s financial goals and help drive UTR’s brand and business.
- Developing and maintaining the 5-year strategic plans, forecasts and budgets.
- Reporting, Analysis and Communication:
- Setting structure, policies, procedures and controls for the team.
- Preparation and review of consolidated reporting for the month, quarter and year-end.
- Providing in-depth analysis of financial position and key indicators, foresight of upcoming financial and non-financial challenges, and updates on the implementation of a financial strategy.
- Liaison with external parties such as banks, investors, auditors, and government.
- Preparing ad-hoc reports and supporting documents when needed.
- Project Management:
- Effective management of your time and of your team’s.
- A Doer who leads by example.
- Can set and meet deadlines, and deliver results.
- Has the ability to influence team decisions based on data and analysis, and always based on the businesses needs
- Review and Guidance:
- Review entries prepared by the accounting team.
- Provide guidance on day-to-day transactions and accounting matters.
- Identifying areas for staff improvement, ongoing coaching and mentoring.
- Instilling positivity, optimism and upholding the UTR culture.
- Decision making:
- Making data-driven decisions and implementing solutions.
- Providing optimal cash management approach, foreign exchange strategy, and excellent negotiation skills.
- Support the UTR team with regular, ad-hoc reporting and analysis of financial data to support decisions on pricing, process change, new product development and more.
Required Skills & Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Designated Professional (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA)
- Working knowledge of ASPE, Internal Controls, Tax and Compliance Matters
- 5-10 years experience managing an accounting department
- Strong technical background
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel is a must
- Proficient with Accounting Software and ERP Systems
- In-depth understanding of financial forecasting and planning
- Demonstrated ability to manage and influence cross-functional projects
- Creative thinker who brings new ideas and solutions to the table
- You thrive in an environment with multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities and work well under pressure; you get things done and help the team do the same
- You are a self-starter and problem solver; you seek the best solution for the company and critically challenge opinions while maintaining a high degree of professionalism and the best intentions.
- You drive change within the organization
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
Competitive compensation package includes base salary, vacation, free parking, and benefits, plus the potential to earn cash bonuses and share options.